Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some details over on the RM forum here (you’ll need to switch on Google Translate if your French is as bad as mine).

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38733
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are replacing the whole lift: new pylons, new stations and new cabines. The new top station was built last summer along with some new pylons.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C56SdcLtm_5/?igsh=MngweXRjemw3Y3J5

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-04-24 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that link @bigtuboflard. It is interesting to see that a permanent route is being installed for the essentials pass priority lane.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, as John said, it's the TransArc bottom station. You're right to say that it's a big lift to replace in a single summer - the work actually started last summer. The top lift station and the mid-point station have already been completed, and I think most of the pylons are already in place (the top section of the lift the pylons are already in place, not too sure about the lower section). All being well it will welcome the first guests on Saturday 14 December, in a 10-person gondola (with seats, unlike the monstrous thing it's replacing!) and, IIRC, 8 minutes quicker ride to the top.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-04-24 14:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @rob@rar, sounds great! And be nice to be rid of those weird slidey seats that you can only get one bum cheek on, and you have to reposition yourself every 30 seconds!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Cheers @rob@rar, sounds great! And be nice to be rid of those weird slidey seats that you can only get one bum cheek on, and you have to reposition yourself every 30 seconds!
Exactly. Hated it for that reason - avoided it all this season as it was a miserable way to get to up the hill, so I always used an alternative route.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We too avoided Transarc - for various reasons.

I think most people prefer chair lifts in general don't they?

But as a second best - some of the new cable car/gondoliers are excellent these days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IIRC on 21 days in Les Arcs this season I used the transarc twice and one of those was from the midstation to col de chal. I used Charmettoger more Smile

@Handy Turnip, My wife complains that she couldn't even get a single buttock on to the "seats" and as for the fun and games getting a bike in Sad

Remember before the Transarc was installed getting from 1800 to 2000 involved one of a number of slow chairlifts out of 1800 such as the old Villards lift then one of 3 3 seat slow lifts: Arpette, Col des Frettes or Grand Reynard. We thought it wonderful when it was first installed. Getting across from Arc 1600 has changed a bit in that Muguet has now been reclassified as a red but you had to take the Clocheret poma drag.

At 3600 people per hour uplift I think the new telecabine will have the highest capacity in Les Arcs. Even though it will have the same size cabines as the Vallandry and Varet lifts it will run at a greater spead and density. I think it will have longer loading decks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I used it at all this season. My preferred route back to 2000 bowl is to go across just under the mid-station to Carreley.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Owlette, I'd be interested in finding out a bit about your Les Arcs trip, especially the journey. Planning for next Jan (!). Not been to Les Arcs but keen to explore the train option too... Did you DIY booking and sorting out, or do the Snow Train?

Anyone got any thoughts on 1800 v 1950? (4 mates, no kids) Looks like 1800 has got the better priced accommodation, as far as I can see. Thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anyone got any thoughts on 1800 v 1950?

1800 is much bigger and has more activities such as Mile8 and Follie Duce. However, some of the accomodation can be a long way from the lifts and shops etc. whereas 1950 has immediate access to the piste. It is genuinely ski in ski out and evrything is close at hand. Both have access to excelent skiing and it is easy to get from one to the other. In January the 2000 bowl is occasionally closed down due to bad weather and the navette can be very busy going around the mountain to the skiing at 1600.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Or is it just the bottom station that's being replaced and the lift infrastructure will remain in place

The top station is already built, and lots of the pylons are already in place, though they don't reach quite as far as the station yet.

You can see the new top station on the Arcabulle webcam
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Anyone got any thoughts on 1800 v 1950?

1800 is much bigger and has more activities such as Follie Duce.

I've missed that one, is it this place?

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
I've missed that one, is it this place?
No, I don’t think that’s right. Only the blokes have got their tops off in that photo. Can’t be the Folie.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple years ago we were having a torch light descent meal in the Arpette. There was a party of british students there also. They were dancing on the tables. The men and women had their shirts off. My niece was shocked. Not by the fact that the girls were dancing in their brassiers but that they were dancing in, quote "grubby grey ones". What is the world comimg to when they forgot to bring their evening dresses and dinner jackets up the mountain for a meal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy